Thursday, April 22, 2010

AskCat.com/Chia

Chatting with a friend the other day, I was asked if I had tried the "latest" superfood: Chia Seeds.  The hilarious Chia Pet immediately came to mind (yes it's the same seed).  I did a bit of research and was astounded at this teeny seed's history and its promise of near-miraculous nutritional benefits.  

Chia seeds are said to have:
  • 2 times the protein of any other seed or grain
  • 5 times the calcium of milk, plus boron which is a trace mineral that helps transfer calcium to your bones
  • 2 times the potassium of bananas
  • 3 times the reported antioxidant strength of blueberries
  • 3 times more iron than spinach
  • copious amounts of essential fatty acids omega 3 and omega 6...in the league of flax seeds, which should be ground to be fully digested
Having read that it actually slows down the body's ability to turn carbs into sugar, I threw a handful of chia into our stir-fry last night.  Without adding any discernible flavour or texture, it made the meal more satisfying, so I ate less.  I've since made a jar of chia gel (1/3 c seeds+2 c of water) and it will sit in my fridge, at the ready to be added to soups, sauces and smoothies!  Gluten-free and easily digestible raw and whole, it's easy to galvanize your diet with this power food. 

Heck, with its ability to hold moisture, I'm thinking I might treat my lawn to some chia, too (kidding!).  The Aztecs were clearly onto something big with this little grain. 

1 comment:

  1. I have a really good pumpkin Chia recipe on my blog that you should check out: thedailymira.blogspot.com
    I think you can find it in March or April.

    ReplyDelete